OPTIFAST® for Teens
What is the OPTIFAST for Teens program?
This is a comprehensive program for teens and adolescents who are struggling with their weight. Almost 20% of children and adolescents aged 12-19 in this county are obese and they’re at increased risk to develop hypertension, sleep apnea, high cholesterol, and diabetes. Over the past 3 years the rate of obesity in our kids has increased 3-fold.
How can it benefit my child?
The program is managed by an obesity medicine physician who works very closely with your child’s physician to ensure a safe weight loss. Children’s needs differ from adults in terms of their nutritional, behavioral, and medical needs. To that end, your child’s pediatrician will be asked to medically clear your child to participate in the OPTIFAST® for Teens program. Once enrolled in the program your child will participate in weekly lifestyle education visits with our medical staff, receive medical monitoring, participate in a physical activity program designed to address his/her needs, and work toward long-term management of his/her weight. In addition, you as a parent/guardian will participate in supportive lifestyle education groups as well. This way you and your child can work toward better health together.
What about after the program?
As with our adult programs, your child will transition to an optional maintenance program to aide in his/her long-term success. You are encouraged to participate in your child’s weight loss journey through attendance in some of the lifestyle education groups.
What’s included in the program?
This 16 week program is comprehensive and includes:
- an initial 60 minute assessment by our obesity medicine physician and follow-ups every 2 weeks for the first month then monthly thereafter (depending on patient’s medical status)
- an initial 60 minute assessment by our registered dietitian and monthly follow-up visits
- a comprehensive fitness assessment by our fitness director who will work with your child to develop a personalized fitness plan
- Once weekly individual visits with our trained staff
- Parent/guardian required to attend weekly support groups to help their child manage their weight
- Full labs prior to the start of the program
- Clearance by the teen’s pediatrician
- Weekly weigh-ins
- 24/7 access to staff for additional support
- Cost of program: $2270 (not including food)
What are your payment policies?
We have a great no-credit check PayPal installment plan (ask us for details) along with 2 excellent patient financing programs. You can also pay by any major credit card, cashier’s checks, and federal health spending account funds. We will provide you with a superbill to submit to your insurance company for potential reimbursement.
How does my child get started?
You would have your child’s physician complete a referral/clearance form available here. Once your child is cleared to participate in our program we can make an appointment for you and your teen to come to our offices to begin the process of enrollment in the program.
“OPTIFAST® is a registered trademark of Société des Produits Nestlé, S.A., used with permission