Work Hard, Stay Strong® Employee Wellness Program
Why I started this program?
When I was 500 pounds and worked for the local VA hospital I did my job to the best of my ability. Albeit my nurse put an oxygen tank in my office in case I wanted to take a walk but it was the thought that counted.
I know first hand how important it is to be a healthy employee and now to be an employer concerned about her employees’ health. One of my employees is participating in our weight management programs and she’ll tell you that she’s happy she took the leap.
It’s hard getting healthy especially if previous attempts have been unsuccessful. However as an employer you care for your employees but it can get to the point that, financially, it becomes cost prohibitive to employ overweight and obese employees due to absenteeism and presenteeism.
Why employee wellness is important?
A study in 2009 by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation reported that direct health care costs of obesity were expected to climb to over $300 billion. That was 8 years ago. It’s a great deal more now because our obesity rates are climbing in this country. What’s more, 80% of employees have at least one chronic medical condition and over 50% have more than one. Prevention magazine reported that eliminating three risk factors–poor diet, inactivity and smoking would prevent 80% of heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes, and 40% of all cancers. These numbers are staggering! There medical conditions result in increased costs to the employer and the possibility that the employee may have to be let go or that these health care costs need to be passed onto the employer’s customer base. Neither option is ideal. This is where a solid employee wellness program can help.
What are the basics of the program?
You want your employees to be healthier, more productive, sleep better, and have more energy. In order to accomplish this you need a program that not only is comprehensive, convenient but provides long-term results. The Work Hard, Stay Strong program with Body & Mind provides this. Your employees will learn about physiology not popular culture, hyped nutritional concepts.
It’s impossible to get healthy if you don’t have a solid foundation in how the body actually works. Our program is 12 weeks of online multi-media content (e.g. high quality videos, audio downloads and over 90 pages of downloadable pdf documents that your employees can read offline if they wish).
In addition, each employee has the option to participate in weekly group coaching sessions with me for additional support. Our other program options include individual weekly coaching sessions and a Fitbit HR.
Lastly but not least we have an online exercise program that can be accessed anywhere including synching with the Apple watch. This program is also available as a mobile app. So, your employees and staff can get together on their lunch break and share their progress with their coworkers and on social media for additional support and motivation. Normally there is an additional charge for the program but it is included complimentary with each employee wellness package.
Can you summarize what my employees will receive?
- 12 weeks of multimedia rich content in a fully online wellness program
- Your employees will learn proper body physiology with the use of high quality videos, audio downloads and pdf documents
- Your employees will learn proper exercise technique with our online and mobile app exercise program included complimentary
- Group coaching and individual coaching available as an option
- Fitbit HR available on some plans
- Tele-video visits with our PhD level registered dietitian offered as an option
- Support staff available to assist with any questions during business hours of 9 a.m.-7 p.m. and 24 hr. live answering service available and each employee’s call returned the next day
- Affordable plans based on number of employees enrolled
- A medical director who has lost 300 pounds, is an addiction psychiatrist and a diplomate of the American Board of Obesity Medicine
- The desire to help your employees improve their health long-term and to help you dramatically reduce your annual health care costs
Why the Work Hard, Stay Strong Program®?
Our program is comprehensive and has not only the best interest of the employee in mind but the employer. You value your employees because they’re the backbone of your company. Your employees want to do give you 100% but if they’re struggling with their weight and/or chronic medical conditions as I was they may not be able to ask for help or they feel embarrassed. Let us help you help them.
Contact me (Tanya Scurry, M.D.) or our corporate wellness director Robert Wetzel at 909-443-5191 or 1-844-695-4331 (24 hrs.) to discuss getting your employees the help they need to get healthy.